Re: TradeStation 6 and 7 USELESS for Automated Trading

Progster wrote:

>Again, If my facts are wrong, I invite correction.  If you believe
>that TS6 can be used for automated trading, I'd love to hear how -
>what CAN be done, what are the caveats, what's worth spending time
>on and what is a guaranteed waste.

I'm a TS2000i user, but I can hazard a guess on an effective way to
automate: write your strategies so that they only produce market
orders based on market data, not relying on position profit.  Stops
and limits would have to be managed internally, without placing
those types of orders.

>Also, if anyone knows of third-party products or other platforms which DO,
>IN FACT, enable automated trading, I'd really appreciate the references.

Interactive Brokers gives you access to their API allowing you to
write your own custom automatic trading software in Java or even
Excel.  I'm surprised that nobody has done a custom-job specifically
for IB yet, although I have heard of something that lets you use TS
with it.  However, I don't think it uses IB's data feed.

It's a project I've been wanting to do myself, if only I was comfortably
retired and had the time.  ;-)

WealthLab is quickly meeting or exceeding the features of TradeStation,
and someone may have come up with a way to automate trading through it.
It would be nice to have a powerful backtesting too like TradeStation
that isn't tied to one broker, but can work with any broker capable of
online trading.

--
 //  \
 // __)    Unicorn Research Corporation -- http://unicorn.us.com