Date: Sun, 08 Dec 2002 11:26:17 -0800
From: "Mike Gossland" <mga@xxxxxxxx>
To: omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Backtesting resolution

Plain Text Attachment [ Save to my Yahoo! Briefcase  |
 Download File ]

Has anyone had experience playing with the backtesting
resolution in
either TS2000i or TS 6?

It's a property of a strategy. TS documentation of the
feature is
pretty sparse,and I haven't gotten down to trying it
out myself yet. I am
guessing that this offers a decent solution to the
"bouncing ticks"
problem, where TS can't know the order of ticks within
a bar to determine
where a % risk trailing stop would have been hit, or
whether a stop or
limit is hit first within a bar. Seems to me if you
set the backtest
resolution to 5 minutes, on a daily bar system, TS
should be able to
generate a much more accurate history of what would
have happened.

Is this an accurate description? If so, does TS
internally deliver the
higher bar interval in the smaller resolution units ?
Any thoughts or
comments?

TIA,
Mike Gossland