OT: MS Innovation [was: Cost of in-house trading software development

  • To: omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: OT: MS Innovation [was: Cost of in-house trading software development
  • From: countachl <countachl@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 11:29:36 -0800

Jen,  your knowledge of PC history is impressive, but selective.  Everyone
now knows that Apple stole the GUI from Xerox. But then Microsoft stole it
from Apple (well, they licensed it, then stole it.  Remember the look-and-feel
suit in the '90's?).  The Windows we know and love came from Windows 3.0
(1989).  Versions 1.0 (1983) and 2.0 were dogs - DOS-style black-and-white,
with *non-overlapping* windows.  And version 3.0 was originally a joint
project with IBM.  That's innovation ?

As for the Tablet PC, this is not innovative either.  Fujitsu has been selling
sophisticated tablets for years.  No, they are not the equal to laptops, but this
has been a niche market - warehouses, construction, data collection, etc.
Now that the populace is PC-savvy, and mobile processors are very fast,
and hi-resolution LCDs are cheap, and people have gotten to like portable
PDAs, a true PC tablet can be put together for a reasonable cost.  And why
does Microsoft lead the effort ? Because THEY HAVE THE Operating
System MONOPOLY !  And billions of dollars.

For extensive analysis of Microsoft's 'innovation', see

http://www.vcnet.com/bms/departments/innovation.shtml

You can also read enlightening court documents from Microsoft's  suit against
Lindows at:

http://info.lindows.com/lindows/

Earlier this year the judge in this case ruled that Microsoft could not copyright
"Windows".  In fact they didn't even register "windows" with the USPTO
until 1990 ! (See http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/24093.html)
That tells me that they didn't even think they had a viable product until
Windows 3.0

Don't get me wrong - I like Windows (but then I know how to live with it).
It is wonderful to have a solid, stable, almost trouble-free OS in Windows 2000.
But it's been almost 20 years to get here ! ! !

donc