Re: Spl-Trend indicator

I had trouble posting this message. If it's a repeat, I apologize.

Jan,

"it is still unacceptable to advertise it here, no matter how long the
product is free."

Okay, I misunderstood what you meant with your first sentence, and
apologize for that. However, strictly speaking, I think that the actual
issue is open for discussion. The Omega-list instructions e-mail says:
"Please do not use this list to sell your phenomenal trading system." It
does say "sell"...But I guess there can be different interpretations...

"Regarding the flexibility and colors, you can have as many parabolics
imposed with different colors and settings, as you wish."

I was joking about the color issue...

However, I still maintain that not only are they not "practically
identical", they are not even comparable. I've seen the Spl-Trend code, and
there is absolutely no connection to Parabolic. The Parabolic is really a
simple concept, which takes the value of the last swing-high/low and then
moves the stop a certain percentage each bar. After the first stop value,
parabolic doesn't care about trends, about whether the market is going up
or down, etc., not to speak about the VERY large initial stops you have to
have with parabolic most of the time.

I hope to put the matter to rest with the following:

I reversed the stops on both indicators to turn them into signals. Meaning,
sell when the buystop is hit and buy when the sellstop is hit, thus
alternating positions. I applied both signals to a 5-min SP chart with an
exit-on-close-of-day signal (+$25 commission). The chart goes from 1/1/2001
to 9/30/2002.

Running the parabolic system with twenty optimizations of the
"Parabolic(AccelFactor)" input

I got the following results: only ONE out of 20 optimizations was
profitable (0.01) with the following numbers:

Net profit: $28900
Max ID: $60750

In order to be fair, I only optimized ONE of the inputs in Spl-Trend,
StopS, which is the main stop variable. I left the others on default.
I got the following (please remember this is NOT the Spl-Trend Signal
indicator Phil is working on, this is just something I drummed up in about
one minute...) :

13 out of 20 optimizations were profitable with the best having the
following numbers:

Net Profit: $79500
Max ID: $31550

Hardly "practically identical". Remember, I'm not saying this is a viable
system, I just did this to make a point: the two have nothing to do with
each other.

it is still unacceptable to advertise it here, no matter how long the
product is free.

Regarding the flexibility and colors, you can have as many prabolics
imposed with different colors and settings, as you wish.

Regards,
Jan Philipp