RE: Are the Neural Networks and Fuzzy logic of any use ?

Yes, thanks!

The message below has nothing to do  with (un)satisfied  customers and was
reposted  here by permission.
Just to see if a more interesting thread  could start from here...

Yes.

> I am totally confused how you could extract any useful training
> from random data that could perform so well on real data.  If
> it's *really* random, then there is NO useful information in it,
> by definition!

There are information in it that you can extract.
But no predictive information.
The software extracts a complex  filtering scheme that is able to detect trends
of a minimal amplitude that exist in any random data serie...and that are
themselves random.

> If it behaves that way, why not just sell the random-trained
> indicators as a Holy Grail for all markets?  Or at least for all
> futures indexes?

It does not work ( or really poorly) on unseen random data ( where it conforms
to the theory and to the arcsinus law).
It works on market data, mainly those who have a correct signal to noise ratio,
what is the case for intraday index futures.
It's not the  holy grail, simply a proof of two things:
-Markets are not random ( or *less* random than the learning data that are
perfectly random).
-Safir-X is a tool able to easily extract hidden complex filter rules from most
data available.

However I do not say that you must use true random data to  train a system.
Just make the same experience with any  NNet package and tell me what you are
able to find within 5 minutes.

> (BTW I assume these 100% results were on something that's
> actually tradeable, like SP or ND, not the index itself, SPX or
> NDX?  Or if you used the index, you added in appropriate
> "slippage" ?)

I of course used futures index , not indexes where the results are far much
better ( signal to noise ratio is better for  indexes than for futures).
The test has been done using CAC, FTSE, DAX and EUREX futures.
I dit it last year during a conference and used ND and SP too with similar
results
The  experience has been done publicly, it was not prepared in any manner.

> > This apply to most of the NN package where you cannot expect  stable
> > results before days.
> > This do not apply to Safir-X that is able to find valid solution
> > within minutes and no learning  curve.
>
> I'd disagree with the "no learning curve."  I downloaded Safir-X
> a year or two ago, poked at it for a while (not very thoroughly I
> will admit) and I was still confused how to run the thing.  I
> eventually got busy with other issues and never went back to it.

This is because of my weak english.
The software is really easy to use.
There is a slide show here:
http://www.sirtrade.com/safirmode.htm

> I'm sure it looks easy to you.  You've been thinking that way for
> years now.  But it was not at all clear to me, and I'm not
> stupid.

In never said that.
You are one of the most proficient contributor to this list and I always
appreciated your posts.

P.

As I feel that your reaction is of interest, may I CC it with your permission to
the Omega List ?
This will change from  my usual VK ranting...