PATS with Excel or .NET

TO: PATS API Developer Community
RE: My Project Plan for a Microsoft Excel and/or .NET API to PATS

After posted inquiries on several bulletin boards, I've received
considerable feedback from about a dozen people. I've placed you all on a
private BCC mailing list that I'll use to relay information to you. If I end
up sending you too many mails, just say so. I'll try to keep it to a
minimum. I'm also going to post this on the PATS Developer Forum.

It appears that there are quite a few of us out there writing serious
trading apps for PATS. My goal is to write my own layer of API between PATS
and either Excel or .NET. These are my two preferred programming platforms
for the trading apps I need to write.

One of the guys who responded to me is named Mike Diplock. He's written an
OCX control (COM wrapper) around PATS, but it may not work for high volume
trading due to some threading issues with VB6. I may be able to get it to
work with .NET. I'm pretty familiar with the .NET Interop layer that routes
messages to COM and native DLLs. The best thing would probably be to write a
direct .NET layer for PATS and leave COM out of it.

I'm looking for suggestions on shortcuts. For example, there is a company
that appears to have some kind of EXCEL app that talks to FIX
(www.aptcompsys.com). I wonder if there's a way I could use that application
with EXCEL and save myself a lot of time. I've put in calls and emails to
the sales people that sell FIXCEL, but I haven't received any responses yet.
Does anyone know anything about FIxCEL and what would be involved for me to
try to use it with PATS? This may end up being the best solution for me.

I'm still a little confused about how FIX fits into all of this, and whether
I would benefit by using the FIX gateway. Now that I've explained to
everyone what I'm trying to do, perhaps someone could advise me on whether
or not to try using FIX, and on what my next series of steps might be. Once
I get my framework set up, I'll be on my own. I could just use a little help
getting pushed in the right direction.

Thanks again to all who've already helped me with this. I'll try to
contribute as much as I can to the group's body of knowledge.

Ron Hudson  MCSD, MCDBA
Client-Server Systems, Inc.
Huntington Beach, CA
www.ronhudson.com