Re: Rolling Window Forward Optimization or Anchored ForwardOptimization - System results

Jim:

Dennis Miller is correct in noting the amount of work involved.
Large.
However, even if you put the work in, what are you testing?
Two different systems, not optimization efficacy.
Why?

System one:
Two linear regression values, each optimized over
5,000 bars and trading signals taken on cross over / under.
Simple.
System one carries an optimization load of 2
(2 degrees of freedom) for every 5,000 bars.

System two:
Same logic, but divided into 1,000 bar segments, the rolling
window size.  Therefore, you have 2 degrees of freedom for
every window.  The parameter to sample size load is 5 times
greater.

System two MIGHT perform better or it might perform worse
than system one depending on how well the 1,000 bar window
matches the resonance frequency of the underlying data set.

Conclusion:  the proposed method for rolling window
optimization does NOT discriminate between the efficacy of
one kind of optimization versus another, but discriminates
between a 1st order polynomial curve fit versus a higher
order polynomial curve fit system.
A serious methodological error.

For further discussion, see Tuchar Chande: Beyond Technical
Analysis, Second Edition; Wiley & Sons, 2001; pages 44 - 48.

Regards,
Leslie

--
Regards,