Re: earnings season

Robert Linders wrote:

> All systems I have trade regular markethours and the past 2 weeks made me
> wondering if systems should just skip the overnight session during "earnings
> season"  (by going flat overnight).
> Did anybody ever research this topic?
> Can anybody tip me off what the dates are in which "earnings season" is most
> visible (somewhat like the middle 10 days of Months 1,4,7,10)?

My experience has been very similar, with those huge overnight gaps.

Something else, maybe offtopic for this list: market manipulation.

Right after the fall of Enron, the natural-gas market started trading
very differently. Recently I read something which maybe explains it (
http://washingtontimes.com/business/20021018-71352476.htm )

I wonder if that's the case with the US stockmarket, when a couple of
major players (Morgan Stanley, UBS Warburg) account for so much of the
action in the cash market and apparently do so trading for their own
account ( http://www.nyse.com/press/NT00746874.html )

Regards, MT