Re: Strength of the Trend Indicator.

Lawrence,

Perhaps you are referring to William Blau's "True Strength Index", which he
covers in his book called "Momentum, Direction and Divergence."

If so, the attached files contains:

TSI      (function)
TSI      (indicator)
TSI_Trade  (function)
TSI_Trade  (Indicator)
TXAverage (function)

{Indicator:  TSI     by Bill Blau}
{Format:  TSI(Price, r, s, u)  }

Inputs:  Price(close), r(32), s(13), u(3), zeroline(0);
Value1 = TSI(Price, r, s, u);

Plot1(Value1, "TSI");
Plot2(Zeroline, "Zeroline");

{Indicator:  TSI_Trade     by Bill Blau}
{Format: TSI_Trade(Price, r, s, u)  }

Inputs:  Price(close), r(32), s(13), u(3), zeroline(0);
Value1 = TSI_Trade(Price, r, s, u);

Plot1(Value1, "TSI_Trade");
Plot2(Zeroline, "Zeroline");

{TSI function = True Strength Index by Bill Blau}

{FORMAT: TSI(Price,r,s,u)
            Where: r = length of first EMA smoothing of 1 day momentum,
                                     s = length of second EMA smoothing of 1
day smooting,
                                    u = length of third EMA smooting of 1
daymomentum.}

Inputs:    Price(NumericSeries), r(NumericSimple), s(NumericSimple),
               u(NumericSimple);

Value1= 100*TXAverage(Price-Price[1],r,s,u) ;  { Numerator }
Value2=TXAverage(AbsValue(Price-Price[1]),r,s,u) ;   { Denominator }

If Value2 <> 0 then TSI = Value1 / Value2
Else TSI = 0;

{User Function:  TSI_Trade = True Strength Index Trade    by Bill Blau}
{Triple exponential moving averages are used}
{Format:  TSI_Trade(Price, r, s, u)  }

Inputs:  Price(NumericSeries), r(NumericSimple), s(NumericSimple),
u(NumericSimple);

Value1 = TSI(Price, r, s, u);
If Value1 - Value1[1] > 0 AND Value1 > 0 then
             Value2 = Value1
 Else                                   {Value2 is that portion of the TSI
which is positive & rising}
             Value2 = 0;

If Value1 - Value1[1] < 0 AND Value1 < 0 then
            Value3 = Value1
Else                                   {Value3 is that portion of the TSI
which is negative & falling}
             Value3 = 0;

TSI_Trade = Value2 + Value3;

{FORMAT: TXAverage(Price,r,s,u) }

Inputs: Price(NumericSeries), r(NumericSimple),s(NumericSimple),
            u(NumericSimple);

TXAverage = XAverage(XAverage(XAverage(Price,r),s),u) ;