Re: OFF TOPIC: free e-mail recommendations

Hi Jim,

Try these sites - extensive searcheable directories of free email services,
web-based and POP. Free, non-advert POP mail is becoming very difficult to
find

 http://fepg.net/index.html
http://www.emailaddresses.com/

One I have used is zapmail http://www.zzn.com It offers POP mail but you
have to accept "limited special offers" i.e. spam, which so far has not been
too much. Fastmail ( http://fastmail.fn ) has a lot of fans and has free as
well as paid options. I would avoid yahoo and hotmail if you wish to avoid
spam. I signed up for my one and only hotmail address and within 2 months,
even though I never used it or given it out, had several hundred spam emails

Other suggestions:

1. Never publish your 'real' email address, as you just have - it is now
spider bait

2. Consider using "disposable" email addresses such as Sneakemail and
SpamMotel, which you use to sign up for individual lists, emailings etc, and
then discard as they start to attract spam. They are forwarded to your
non-published 'real' email address. You can sign up for individual lists
with different email addresses and actually see if any sell your name since
any spam will come to that same email address, before being forwarded to
your real address.

3. Use a product such as MailWasher http://www.mailwasher.net which allows
you to review email on server before it is downloaded - zap spam at the
server, along with viruses etc. Spam is bounced back to the sender so it
appears as if your address has been closed down. This is free software.

4. Use a filtering service such as Despammed http://www.despammed.com - mail
is filtered before being forwarded to your real email. If spam gets through
you report it and it is added to their database, making it unlikely to get
through a second time

5. Get your own domain with free unlimited email addresses - create as many
addresses or aliases as you want, discarding them as they become spambait.
This is a relatively cheap alternative these days and one over which you
have total control, you don't have to rely on 3rd party providers going
belly up or changing their plans as yahoo just has

6. Get Web2Mail software - this costs about $20 and allows your POP server
to collect your webmail. .

I think the key is to use 'layers' with different email addresses, the final
one being the one to which all your mail is forwarded and which is your
current ISP address. This one can be used for family and close friends. All
others get a disposable or temporary email address which is discarded as it
becomes known to the spammers. Sure you may have to re-sign up for omega
list and whatever else you are on from time to time but that takes seconds,
compared to having to wade through spam every day.

Hope this helps

 Bob