Re: backtesting multiple data streams?

At 8:02 AM -0500 5/9/02, Mike Eggleston wrote:

>We just had a talk about this. Try this setup and see if it
>is simple to understand and illustrate what I'm asking. For
>simplicity sake start with a 1 min bar. Then add the same
>symbol again as a 30 min bar and a 90 min bar. Next a strategy
>that is plotted in the 1 min chart that also looks at the 30
>min and 90 min data. As the chart is plotting data I know it
>will see the 1 min data and the strategy will fire on the 1
>min close of bar (right?).

Right

>Now, in the strategy looking at the
>other data streams, will the strategy see the previous close
>of the 90 min bar or will the strategy see the current close
>price within the 90 min stream?

It will see the value of the the last bar of that data stream.

>Since the close of all bars, regardless of their time frame, is
>the current close, then does the strategy see the current close
>or does the strategy only see the previously plotted close?

It doesn't know the data series have the same symbol so if you refer
to the High of data2, it will use the High of the last data2 bar.

One suggestion. For this kind of question, it would take you less
time to just try it and see what happens than it takes you to type
the question and send it to the list. When in doubt - try it and see
what happens...

Bob Fulks