Color/Highlight select areas of chart background?

I am trying to figure out how to color or highlight select areas of a chart
i.e. turning background of P&F chart different color if RS vs Index changes
or between Trendlines as in example below.

I cna't seem to get the regular Set Plot functions to work on the charts and
I was hoping somebody might point me in the right direction. The example
below is from Steve Woods Newsletter. Is this possible in TS or did he use
highlight fiunction within a graph/caputure utility program?

TIA for any help.

Duke