Re: off topic - ms word

Chris Cheatham wrote:

> This is probably a dumb question...when I open multiple files at the same
> time in ms word 2000, each file gets opened in a separate copy of word,
> instead of as a window in one copy like it used to be.

Sort of a technicality, but it is only one instance of Word.  It's
just that every doc. gets its own window.

> With a dozen files
> open it is a total pain.  Anyone know if there is a way to fix this?

There is no way in 2000; it is a Single Document Interface (SDI)
program only.  MSW 2002 offers the option of either SDI or MDI
- M for multiple.

Below there is a blurb from the web.

Rod

+++++++++++++++++

When Microsoft introduced Office 2000, one of the more controversial
features was that Word and Excel were changed from Multiple Document
Interface (MDI) applications, where each document window was
contained inside the parent application window, to Single Document
Interface (SDI) applications, where each document occupied its own
window. A side effect of an SDI application is that each document
also gets its own button on the Windows taskbar, and you can easily
switch between documents using the standard ALT+TAB key combination.
However, some users found this new interface to be problematic,
because multiple Word documents could quickly clutter the taskbar.
In Word 2002, you can now optionally choose to use MDI mode again
if you're so inclined.