Re: Computers?

Greetings Phil,

Saturday, December 29, 2001, 1:50:26 PM, you wrote:

P>    I want to connect 3 computers together.  It seems to me that just
P> connecting them with a USB cable would be the simplest and best way to do
P> it?     Does anyone else on this list use USB  to connect computers
P> together?

P>    Thanks,

P>    Link below of one company who has USB networks etc.

P>    http://www.lpt.com/

P>  Any and all comments welcome.

I believe Linksys also makes USB networking kit since I've known
someone who opted to setup a simple home network via USB.

Is it the simplest way?  Sounds like it.

P>  Also one more thing.   I have a friend who sells computers and he said that
P> with everything else equal, that I could see no difference in performence in
P> a computer that is 1 Gig compared to 1.8 Gig ?
P>   Was wondering if that is true?
P>  I do know that back when I first got a 350 Meg computer and liked it so
P> much I got my friend to build me an identical 550 Meg computer and side by
P> side as far as me using it.  I could see no difference in performance with
P> any programs.
P>  Actually my old 350 (which I still use)  Is  faster with some programs than
P> my sisters and brothers 500 and 600.   But I have 128 Memory and they have
P> 64, I have 32  video and they have 16, and I have 7200 hard drive and they
P> have 5200.

P>  Any comments about speed?

All things being equal, there are generally minimal differences in different
CPUs when it comes to how fast it 'feels'.

The bottleneck is usually the hard drive.  I've actually seen a setup
with over 1 gig of ram and the guy loaded the OS onto the ram so it
would run faster.  Was a pretty sweet setup.  But if you begin to do
computational intensive stuff, you'll notice the difference in CPUs.

disclaimer: the above information is most likely incorrect :)

--
Wishing You Happiness,
 Tai Nguyen                          mailto:csuslistproc@xxxxxxxxx