Re: Backup headaches - off topic

Bought a new Dell for offline work some months ago;

#1. Checked all suppliers of apps etc to make sure compatible with w2000.
#2. Loaded it all, and data up to running smoothly in live mode, downloading
distributing data etc.
#3. Made Ghost image via parallel cable to other computer (slow cable). this
included command  line to split image to separate files of 550mg. Burnt
these to CD.
#4. Used Ghost 'G-Disk' to totally wipe the new computer.
#5. Used the CD disk images to reload the image to the new machine.

#6. Image successful. (couldn't tell in any way what had happened).

#7. Repeated whole process as software vendors suddenly had new versions,
patches etc - after they said they would not have.

#8. Used Ghost 2001. In the U.S. you might use a faster parallel cable. I
figure that 'if and when' Ghost will work with firewire (to external
harddrive / no mention of firewire as an alternative in their manual), then
this will be the fastest and most efficient way to make images and at the
same time enabling use of these images as REGULAR backups, which as I
understand, hasn't been a 'function' of images.

#9. This does not work (from memory) with what is called splicing HD'swith
RAID cards.

Jon Macmichael