Re: dangers of xp

> (found on comp.risks)
>
> Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2001 07:59:49 -0500
> From: David Farber
> Subject: Office XP, Windows XP may send sensitive documents to Microsoft
>
> PROBLEM: Microsoft Office XP and Internet Explorer version 5 and later
> are
> configured to request to send debugging information to Microsoft in the
> event of a program crash. The debugging information includes a memory
> dump
> which may contain all or part of the document being viewed or edited.
> This
> debug message potentially could contain sensitive, private information.

Seems to me m$ft is trying to automate feedback on XP and IE problems.  The
fact that memory may contain sensitive material *at the time of the crash*
is picking pepper out of flyshit.  Yeh, it's possible but is it probable.
Seems to me this is painting m$ft as the great satan.  All this kind of
article does is generate a kneejerk reaction and feed everyone's net
paranoia.

Season's best,
Mike