Re: Regular maintenance Defrag

> On the same Defrag note, I use Diskeeper and it allows you to
> schedule defrags so you don't forget them (unlike Win2000) I
> schedule mine every night about 1:00am, works great, never had a
> problem.

Unfortunately, you can't defrag files that are open.  So if you leave
your TS running overnight, that means your TS database is NOT getting
defragged.

BTW I happened to find a free utility that lets you schedule the W2k
defragger:  http://www.tucows.com/system/preview/196280.html

> (Diskeeper created the defrag utility built into Win2000-
> that's what they told me anyway)

That's true.  And unfortunate, given the limitations of that
defragger.  It works, more or less, but it has some major problems
IMHO.  (Unless they've really improved it since the DK5.3.340.4
version I'm running.)

Another lister wrote:
> For users of win9x and ts4,the only way I know of,presently,to defrag
> the data files,in my case bonn,is to use that utility written by a
> list member-is there an easier way?

This is another beastie entirely.  Bob Scott's "unfrag" utility
defragments the data structures *inside* the TS database.  It
shuffles pieces of TS data around *inside* the database so TS stores
them more efficiently in its own structures.  The database file
itself might still be spread across hundreds or thousands of pieces
on your disk.

The defragging I'm talking is DISK-level defragging, which moves
pieces of your files around the disk.  That way each individual file
is in only one or a few pieces, so NT (or whatever OS) can access
them more efficiently.  In the case of my fragmented TS database, the
database file was splattered in 75000 pieces all around the disk.
Obviously it's a lot less efficient to find things in that kind of a
mess than if the file is in one piece.  No wonder TS was slow
accessing its database!

BTW the TS database is very LIKELY to get fragmented like this,
assuming you keep collecting data over time.  The file keeps getting
incrementally bigger.  Unless there happens to be room (on the disk)
at the end of the file, and the OS happens to extend it there, the OS
will extend the file by allocating another chunk somewhere else.  And
then you collect another day's data, and another few chunks get
spread around, and before you know it you have a mess like I had.

NT / W2k / XP users can use Diskeeper (on NT) or its bundled-in
equivalent (on W2k and XP), or another defragging utility.  W9x users
can use Norton Speed Disk or similar.  I don't recommend the built-in
defragger in W9x, as it's horrendously bad.  (Which is probably why
they bought Diskeeper for W2k & XP!)

NT / W2k / XP users can also defragment *individual files* using the
freebie "contig" app I mentioned before.

Gary