Re: Free EOD ascii USA Stock Quote here....

  • To: omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Free EOD ascii USA Stock Quote here....
  • From: alex@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Alex Matulich)
  • Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 16:14:01 -0800

Bob Hunt wrote:
[regarding http://unicorn.us.com/quotes.html ]

>Your web page indicates that you plan on providing access to Quote.com
>intraday data files. That will be fantastic!
>
>Do you have any idea when that aspect might be up and running?

No, and here I need help from a network-protocol-savvy type.

That qutoe.com historical data section was the result of me using a
packet sniffer to see how "Historical Quotes Downloader" commercial
software at http://www.quotelinks.com/downloader.html managed to
download histories from quote.com without having to subscribe, when
quote.com wants you to subscribe.

The software has a 10-day free trial.  It's worth the $40 cost in
my opinion, but I wanted to be able to do the same thing from a web
page.

According to the packet sniffer logs, the Historical Quotes
Downloader initiates a TCP connection with the server
"charts-d.quote.com" and sends it a certain URL string with
several parameters as a request using the GET method.  My web page
reproduces all that exactly.

However, the problem is that the Historical Quotes Downloader sends
the request using the SSL protocol rather than TCP.  I thought
maybe sending the request to https://charts-d.quote.com rather than
http:// would solve the problem, but it didn't.

I'm using the unix Ethereal packet sniffer ported to windows
(freeware); see http://www.ethereal.com -- I'll be happy to send the
data downloader sniff logs to anyone who cares.

-Alex