Re (xx): Eudora

I DO NOT mean to beat a dead horse, BUT according to Eudora, they
absolutely do NOT use the spyware software.  I suggest that either 1) the
[QualComm] at one time did but do no longer do include the applet.  I
direct you to the last paragraph of the text below.

Ones choice [in software] is a matter of personal preference, I just do not
want anyone making the decision based on bad information.  Personally, I
have used Eudora for many years, but I do STRONGLY suggest upgrading to the
professional version before making any judgements - DO NOT try to use the
Lite version and judge the paid version from that test!

Sam

Spyware scanner detects Aureate software in Eudora
Document ID: 2220HQ
Problem:
I ran a spyware scanner program and it claims that something called Aureate
is installed on my system.

Solution:
Most of these kinds of spyware scanners flag Eudora as containing the
Aureate software based only on the name of Eudora's ad folder -- AdCache.
It is only a coincidence that Aureate and Eudora use the same folder name
for its advertisement cache. Here is an excerpt from the log from one of
these scanners:

Started registry scan.
======================

Suspicious keys found : 0

Started folder scan.
==================
Aureate folder:C:\WINNT\Profiles\whultman\Application
Data\Qualcomm\Eudora\EudPriv\Ads\AdCache

Suspicious folders found : 1

Started file examination.
=========================

Suspicious files found : 0

Scan complete.
Total spyware references found on this system:1

Please note that this particular scanner did not find any of the registry
keys associated with Aureate, nor did it find Aureate loaded into memory
(Eudora was running in Sponsored mode during this scan). It is basing its
findings solely on the presence of a folder called AdCache. Eudora does not
use any of the popular ad-serving engines currently available. We use a
proprietary ad-server that we developed ourselves in order to ensure that
we had complete control over our user's privacy. Please go to
http://www.eudora.com/privacy/ to view our privacy statement.

Incidentally, if one of these scanners actually does find Aureate on your
system, it is highly likely that some other software loaded it. It is
absolutely not a part of Eudora.

DATE MODIFIED: 5/18/01

KEYWORDS: ALLCARDS, EPWIN, ADWARE, SPYWARE, CYDOOR, SPY, PRIVACY, TRACK

Yours truly,
     Samuel

Remember - eMail is for the benefit of the sender.