TS4 or 2000i

 I need to do back testing on tick data going back
about 8 years. TS6 only goes back to early 2001 and
TRAD wont sell the earlier versions that can accept
earlier data. So I need to buy either TS4 or 2000i
from somewhere.
My question is this.I have a friend that developed
some large programs on TS4 that he had great
difficulty in porting to 2000i, due principally to
their size. Has anyone heard of this problem? Is TS4
better if all I'm doing is back testing?