Re: Pork Futures (smithfield and pork futures)

Anyone considering trading in the pork complex should be aware that, unlike
broader based markets that tend to lend themselves  to technical analysis of
money flows, Hogs and particularly Bellies, are relatively thin markets that
are very sensitive to the cash price or more accurately, anticipation of
what the price WILL be in the foreseeable future.  When I traded these
markets regularly, I was aware of the trading actions of one large local who
made millions of dollars each year for several years.  While technically
aware, this trader's  edge came from an extensive network of close contacts
in each segment of the cash business.  He spoke daily with a pork buyer for
a large grocery chain about retail demand.  He had relationships with
several packing houses that provided insight on when packers would be buying
animals to meet retail demand and when they might reduce slaughter to force
price increases in the grocery store.  He regularly shared his market
perspective with friends who were large pork farmers in return for
indications of their current and future production and marketing intentions.
He then compiled all the info he gathered with known market facts (including
frozen stocks, foreign demand, seasonality, etc.) in a statistical data base
which compared current market conditions to previous ones.   By accurately
anticipating cash prices, he made lots of money on sizable positions in the
futures markets.

Most traders in smaller, less liquid markets, particularly agricultural
markets typically dominated by larger commercials,  will never have the
access to supply and demand information equivalent to those who deal in the
physical commodity.  As a technical trader, I prefer markets like bonds and
indexes where broad participation mitigates against manipulation by the few
and the price charts can more reliably reveal the changing balance between
buyers and sellers.

Best regards,
Jim Alvis