FW: Off topic: Networking question

> There are several configs from which to choose  Presumably you're
> contemplating 2 networks for redundancy.

That's right, my current ADSL is a little too flaky to count on. For
example, it's only delivering 27k cps today with lots of dropped packets. It
was also down for a full day two weeks ago.

> 1. As the computers are connected to entirely different networks, you can
> share over the Internet, but you'd have to implement an encryption tunnel
> over TCP for security. There are inexpensive tools to do this.

Not sure this would be suitable plus no solution to sharing printers or
other devices.

> 2. Put a second NIC in each computer, and create a workgroup between them
> using the 2nd NICs. This offers better security. If you wanted
> to, you could
> also implement proxy servers on each computer so that if either
> WAN failed,
> you'd be able to access the Internet from the computer that's still
> "online."

It sounds like this would work, but would be limited as far as adding other
computers to the network, which is a real possibility.

> 3. For the times that you're down, just use a dial up and don't have two
> broadband connections. If you don't want to use a DSL router, you can
> implement a proxy server on the computer that is connected to the
> Internet, and the second computer can access the Internet through it.

I already have a dial-up backup, but this ties up the phone line. I had to
give up my second phone line when I moved into this condo and it would be a
hassle to have another one installed here. I would prefer two broadband
connections.

> 4. My preference would be to use DSL, a 678 router and a LINKSYS
> switch (not a hub), and implement NAT, and automatic dialup for connection
backup or
> redundancy.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Colin West