Re: laptops, direct access, day trading

If you're talking about stocks, yes it's possible. The limiting factors
depend on what software you're using, for charting as well as order entry. In
my case, the limiting factor is the amount of data coming through. If the
line cannot handle it all, it gets buffered, which slows everything down, and
can ultimately hang the system. If you don't need streaming time and sales or
Level II, you save a lot in terms of data. I generally run a half-dozen
charts plus Level II and time and sales for 2 stocks on a 40k connection and
only have trouble on rapid movers.