Re: Portfolio backtesting: TS2000i, Behold, Trading Recipes

Steve Research wrote:
> You can download for free a full version of Behold from their website
> (www.bhld.com) and  you can compare directly the 2 programs. Do it and let
> me know your opinion.

No, this is not the case, you have to buy it (not that I'd have any
problem with buying it, if I were convinced it does what I need).

> "I'm interested in portfolio software myself. In my opinion, the largest
> value of an investment I make in software is not in the price I pay to
> purchase it, but the time I invest to learn it, before I can find out if I
> can use it."
>
> I'm interested in the best product, with the features I need. Trading
> Recipes and Behold are 2 software with the same features, if you like to pay
> 2300$ instead of 800 $ it's ok. The time you invest to learn a software is
> correlated to it's features. Tradestation users find Behold Language very
> simple to learn, it's Easy Language like.

I try to keep in mind that in MY case, the cost of most software is less
than being stopped-out ONCE, trading just ONE contract, in most markets
I trade. As with any sophisticated tool, you need to commit considerable
time resources (at least several weeks in my case) to learn it.

My approach is that I have created a feature list, for what I need in a
software package, depending on the trading paradigm I'm looking at.
There are very different features needed in a single-market trading
software like Tradestation, than in a portfolio trading software like
Trading Recipes. In each case, there are some features which I consider
vital, and other features which are less important. There is no
"one-size-fits-all", so I want to use the best tool for the job.

A glowing testimonial is nice, e.g. just few days ago it has been posted
in this list, that Trading Recipes has been used and recommended by some
of the market wizards from Schwager's book. But before I commited to it,
I tried to look for hard facts and "success stories". Real-life results,
not just backtests. And I found them, quite impressive results too I
might add. And finally, it all fit my trading style.

In the case of Behold, I can't seem to find any such hard facts. In my
last post, I gave the example of Chuck LeBeau. If a 30yr veteran of the
futures industry and long time Behold user won't use it to create
portfolio backtests of the systems he sells, does it boost my confidence
in the product ?

I also asked if anyone can post here some results of some simple system,
traded over a multi-market portfolio, with dynamic money-management,
using Behold, a la
http://traderclub.com/discus/messages/18/348.html#POST1220 . That way I
would try to re-produce the results under TR and decide if it's actually
doing what I want. And although it's quite a bit more in TR than just
DMM, it would verify that Behold can be an alternative to the TS+Rina
combo.

Finally, I just received feedback from a CTA who was interested in
Behold and was in touch with Behold users, whom I copied this thread.
His reply was "The contacts I know either cannot code it (even simple
stuff) or the program [Behold] is unable to do it. [...] That said, all
my professional colleagues use TR and swear by it."

Regards, M.