RE: NeoTicker (was Re: EL to VB translator)

In addition I'd say that the problem of cleaning tick data is especially
tricky.  As much as I would like to, I don't currently develop systems on
data that's been cleaned because that's not the way my sever will get it and
my system will see it (TS4/TS2K).  I design my systems to run on data the
way my system will see it.  For RT stocks that means I can't use the highs
and lows of the bar because often they're distorted.  For some futures, I
can do it because the data that comes from the exchanges (NY is the
exception) is already pretty clean.

You have to back test on data that is representative of the data you'll get
real time.  That means, storing (ie exporting) the data and then running an
algorithm to clean tick data is not a good approach.  It's not good because
it permanently distorts the actual tick data.  This is acceptable if you
plan to use the same tick cleaning algorithm forever but I like to make
improvements as time goes.  This means that historical data will get cleaned
(better) or differently which may affect system performance.

The problem with having someone else clean it is that they may change the
cleaning algorithm without telling anyone.  This could affect system
performance in the future.   Would a company like Omega tell you when
they've changed their tick cleaning algorithm?  And would there be enough
history cleaned with the new algorithm for you to backtest your system?
Worse yet, they may glue the historical data cleaned with old to the current
data cleaned with the new algorithm.  Nothing is representative of anything
at this point.  But you don't know this.  We all know that small changes in
the data can lead to changes in the system results.  In other words, data
from BMI will often not generate the same results as data from DTN given the
same system because the data is different (not as many ticks, etc. -- which
is essentially what a tick cleaning algorithm does -- throws out the bad
ones or adjusts them).

What is needed is a platform that allows a small, modular, and customizable
(C++) tick cleaning algorithm that sits between the server and any part of
the program that requests data.  Tick data is stored as is from the data
vendor but cleaned when charted or run with your system.  When you want to
improve the how your ticks get cleaned, you replace the cleaning module and
rebacktest your systems.

B.