RE: Why bad realtime results? The plot thickens . . .

Jack,

In TS4, there are two ill-designed programming problems existed in charting.
If you don't know the existance of these problems, you'll encounter some
minor differences during realtime charting vs reload charting later on.

Fisrtly, BMI always missed the first tick for each tarding session or maybe
TS server can not pick up the very first tick. While I was still using TS3,
I talked to both OR and BMI tech support.  They all blamed the problem was
the other party's fault. If you collect SP or ND (continuous data stream for
both sessions), the missing first tick only happened at 4:45 PM, not at
9:30AM.  If you collect DSP or DND instead, then the missing first tick
happened at 9:30 AM. If you only plot the day session, I'd suggest you
useing SP or ND instead of DSP or DND.  You still can plot the day session
only by unchecking the second sessions in the symblos universe settings (It
may not valid in TS2000i, no way to tell for me, I'm still a TS4 user).
This way, you'll always get the correct openning tick for the day.

Secondly, it is more dramatic on tick charts in real-time vs. reload chart
later on.  Say, for example, you're plotting 45-tick chart on SP to mimic
5-minute chart.  At the end of Globex session around 9:15AM, the last bar
usually don't have full 45 tick counts. It doesn't matter how many tick
counts in the previous bar, at 9:30, it starts a fresh new bar in the
real-time charting anyway. Later on, if you reload the same chart, it will
fill up to the full 45 tick counts on that last bar before it moves on to
plot the next bar around 9:30. Therefore, if the original unfill tick counts
near the mid range of 45, say 20 to 25, your relaod charts will be dramatic
differernt at every turning point for the rest of the day. Believe my, I got
burnt few times about 4 or 5 years ago, before I noticed this problem
existed.  Well, to work around this problem, I alway plot one more day than
I needed before the day session starts.  As soon as I see the first tick
shows up for the day session, I shorten it by one day in the "Format Price
Dara - Settings - Days back".

Hango