Re: indicator crossing signal

At 6:55 PM +1000 8/11/01, jonmac wrote:

>Don't know whether or not I'm dreaming it up, but, thought I remember
>someone suggesting recently, a formula for TS4 to figure a price tomorrow
>that will see its indicator (say, MACD) cross?

This is possible but not easy for most indicators. There are three ways I can think of:

1. Solve the equations backwards for the price and used the new equation directly. This works for some simple indicators.

2. Iteratively search for the price value in a loop. This always works but is pretty messy.

3. If the function is fairly "well behaved" you can derive an approximate value by extrapolating the past few points. There are linear and more complex polynomial approximations that you can use. It still gets pretty messy.

Bob Fulks