Re: off topic: LCD monitor recommendations

Hi Jim,

I have an older Princeton DPP series which I'm very happy with.  I also have
one of Viewsonic's new VP series which I am also very happy with.  Both are
run in digital mode which I think is better than analog.  Most of the newer
LCD's will work in both analog/digital modes but not all video cards support
digital output.

I haven't checked pricing on these in awhile but I suspect they will fall
into the price range you mentioned.  You might want to check the websites of
the various PC magazines as they do periodic reviews of LCD's.  This will
help you to identify the top-rated monitors.

LCD's are like anything else in that quality can vary greatly among
brands/models/prices.  I returned several before deciding on the Princeton
and the ones I returned had very poor picture quality - some worse than your
average CRT.  So I wouldn't focus on price and would instead identify the
top-rated models and then go shopping.  The Viewsonic was the top rated
monitor at the time I bought it.  I purchased it through uBid for a little
more than half of the then-current street price.  I'm sure eBay would also
be an option.

After using LCD's I will never use a CRT again.

Hope this helps,

Bob Heisler
www.rjhtrading.com