Re: Is it time to find a BETTER toolbox?

Gary,

In order to grow a new trading platform it takes time.
There will be no new trading platform that fits
everybody's need if feedback is not send back to
the developers by the actual users. But the actual
users must be brave enough to at least try out the
new platforms available today.

This issue becomes the classic question whether
"the egg or the hen exists first" ...

>From our experience so far, the # of people using
TS stuff are small and they do not represent the
majority of traders in the current trading
environment.
RealTick III is the dominant one. Thus most new
trading platform are shaped after realtick, not
TS - thus the feeling for classic TS users that
they are not getting what they want.

Thus, waiting for a new complete
"backtesting/development/trading" platform probably
will take forever if you are not currently involved
with one.

Vertical market software like trading platforms are
very much like a service instead of products.
It is a long term relationship between the vendor
and the clients as the software evolves to what the
clients demand.

TS4 is best for TS4 users ... and it is just
another platform shaped by its previous users.
The need of another platform arises because
the demands from the clients are not answered.
If TS keep improving the way I wanted, I don't
think I will spend time on software development
at all :)

Thus I think better trading tools are available
already but probably not to the taste and need
of the TS users in general.

Its similar to Lotus 1-2-3 users dislike Excel
years ago and now Lotus 1-2-3 is just a term of
the past.

-Lawrence

--- Gary Fritz <fritz@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I have been wondering if the time has come for a
> great many of the
> > readers of this news-group to find a another
> charting toolbox?
>
> Personally I think that time came at least a year or
> two ago.  The
> trick is finding a suitable replacement.
>
> > So, on August 17, 2001, I am going to the Online
> Trading
> > conference/show in Washington D.C. with the
> express purpose of
> > looking at other charting tools.
>
> There are many *charting* apps out there -- some
> quite good from what
> I've heard.  But so far I haven't seen a platform
> for **system
> testing/development/trading** that can beat TS4.  I
> keep hoping
> somebody will come up with one.  I chose not to take
> on the project
> myself.  For the time being I'll keep struggling
> with TS4's
> weaknesses rather than try to create my own
> replacement.
>
> Gary

=====
Lawrence Chan                http://www.tickquest.com
Home of trading tools NeoBreadth and NeoTicker series