Options - was:Globex2 in home

It is true that creating a true mechanical option trading system is
difficult, even with the best of option software (snide remarks about a
well-known product deleted here). Historical option data are fragmentary at
best, and give only insufficient information on many aspects such as bid/ask
prices and sizes etc. Furthermore, there are many different strategies, with
possible readjustments regularly occurring during the life of an option
position, plus additional intricacies such as early exercise and assignment
etc.

However, all is not lost. Now this may come as a surprise to some, but if
you trade options, you never look at an option chart, anyway. You trade the
underlying *using* options; the chart of the underlying is what you watch
(plus the option price on your order entry screen). Although I trade options
professionally every day, I doubt that I have looked at as many as three
option charts during the past six months.

So if you want to use an S&P trading system of your own design, you could
keep trading it with very little change. You'd simply buy at-the-money calls
when your system goes long, or buy at-the-money puts to go short. To exit,
sell them back. Simple, isn't it?

As regards liquidity, the volume figures you are seeing on that website may
be a bit deceptive. They tell you about the trades that actually happened.
They don't tell you anything about the depth of the market at any given
time, which may be much greater. As I am writing this, in a very dull
pre-holiday market, the depth of the QQQ July 43 puts is more than 6000
contacts on *each* side which should accommodate most traders unless they
are moving really large sizes; and even then, by giving up a few ticks, size
can usually be handled. I have attached a gif for you to verify this.

Slippage is a fact of life in all markets, so also in options. However, it's
not as bad as you might think. Suppose you bought some at-the-money calls
with very little slippage because of the narrow B/A spread there. Suppose
further that the market has gone up some four strikes and your calls have
become quite illiquid. Will you be seen worrying about the "horrific
slippage"? I assure you, you will be only too happy to give up some slippage
to pocket the huge profit (4 strikes!) that you have made. OTOH, if you have
let your position deteriorate to a 4 strike move against you, the option
will have lost so much value anyway - possibly almost the entire premium -
that it will hardly matter whether you get a few ticks more or less when,
much too late, you finally sell it back.

As regards your concern about being inadvertently stopped into a position -
with options, you normally wouldn't use entry stops on the option itself;
instead, you might want to use contingent orders ("if underlying hits 44,
buy twenty of those puts"). In the electronic markets, however, you would
only use limit or stop limit orders on the options prices themselves; at
least that's what I do, for the very reasons you mentioned. Of course, a
good order entry system is required for that.

There are a few more things that I am sure you know about. One important
point with options is time decay. If the trader intends to stay in a
position for days or weeks or even longer, that has to be factored into the
equation. For instance, it might be advisable to get into some spreading
strategy to defray the costs of time decay through the sale of other
options. Another thing to be factored in would be volatility. But in day
trading the OEX or QQQ, these considerations can usually be disregarded. The
only thing a day trader has to get used to is the delta of about 50% for the
at-the-monies, which, as you know, means that the option gains/loses half a
point for every full point move of the underlying.

Best,

Michael Suesserott