window 98 help

I recently had a problem and tried to recover lost emails when I updated to
OE5.

Working with Microsoft support we were unsuccessful. During the process they
had me change something that now brings up a new window when I startup (in
black in white) call Windows 98 Start up menu. There are a number of choices
(one being Normal, another safe mode).
Does anyone know how to get rid of this extra step? I can hit enter and it
defaults to #1 Normal or after 30 seconds it defaults there also.
don ewers