Re: Switch from BMI-Sat to eSignal

Robert,

> In switching from BMI-Sat to eSignal datafeed (PS 2000i, realtime
> futures,indices, stocks, options), I'd appreciate any advice/caveats for a
> smooth transition...eg, avoiding conflicts with datamanager
> switchover/sequencing, converting data from BMI symbols to eSignal, etc.

    I did the same migration.  The most significant part of the move was
    TS4 to TS2Ki.  I trade only S&P futures (real-time) and I did not really
    care about converting my BMI data, so I can't comment on conversion
    issues.  My TS2Ki machine is a 1GHZ Intel machine with 256MB RDRAM,
    7200 RPM disk running W2000.  My internet connection is cable modem
    and the only software I run is TS2Ki.  TS2Ki (SP5), has a major problem
    for me (and others from what I've seen in the list) in that once I get
my
    system operational I cannot "format analysis techniques" and change a
    single parameter.  It causes TS2Ki to emit serious I/O error messages
    and from then on my EasyLanguage code starts gradually melting down.
    If I bring up my system without making any errors and leave it alone,
TS2ki
    keeps on trucking.  W2000, BTW, is an order of magnitude improvement
    over W98 SED.  But even given that advantage, I cannot do ANYTHING
    else on my W2000 machine for fear of breaking TS2Ki.  I'm hoping that
    SP6 from Omega will improve the frailty of TS2Ki.

    To be able to trade with TS2Ki I need to have a second machine (my old
    TS4 machine) for internet order entry, email, web browsing, printing
etc.
    And having it networked to my TS2000 machine makes life easier.

    I've had ESignal now for over a year.  I intend on keeping it for the
    forseeable future, but I don't want to get into comparing
    data feeds.  There are too many issues.  What you have to do is try
    a feed that looks like it might work for you and then see if it does.
There
    is no other way.

    I'm now at the point of resurrecting TS4 on my older machine with
    another real-time data feed as a backup/reality check for my TS2ki
    machine.  Given the frailty of the internet, TS2ki, W98 and W2000
    I think it is only prudent for someone who seriously trades the S&P.
    BTW, if and when DTN gets their act together and provides a symbol
    for the S&P combined sessions (like BMI and ESignal does) I'll
    route their feed into my TS2ki machine in a heartbeat.  I have their
    dish on my roof and when I evaluated their feed, I liked their data very
    much indeed.

    Good Luck,

    Gary