Re: Installing NT 4.0 Upgrade

  • To: omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Installing NT 4.0 Upgrade
  • From: "Terry B. Rhodes" <tbr@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2000 11:03:11 -0800

Hi,

> I attempted to reinstall NT 4.0 from my CD, but it's an "update" version and
> it complains that it cannot find an existing NT installation to update.  It
> asks me to put an NT v3.5 disk into the CD drive for verification.  The
> problem is that my 3.5 installation medium is not a CD - it's entirely on
> 3.5-inch floppies!

You can try installing NT 3.5 from the floppies until you reach
the point where it asks you to reboot the machine for the first
time. This only takes a few floppy copies.

At this point you should be able to start the NT 4.0
installation. Make sure to do a full reinstall, not an upgrade.

I've never tried this with NT but something similar works for
most Microsoft software since the upgrade usually looks for a few
critical files before starting.

regards,

tbr