Re: FreeMarket Project

-----Original Message-----
From: Terry B. Rhodes <tbr@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx <omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Saturday, December 02, 2000 12:36 PM
Subject: Re: FreeMarket Project

>First, GNU/Linux was designed by programmers for programmers.

Agree 100%.  Linux was software for software's sake.  Linux succeeded
because of sheer passion on the part of developers.

>Third, the technology, Python, being used for this project is a
>bad choice. Java should be used instead.

I agree that Python is a bad choice, but I disagree that Java is the best
choice.  True, Java has more developers, but Java has a) performance issues
and b) platform compatibility issues.  B won't be an issue if you only
intend to run on one platform, assuming that Java has the depth to do what
the application requires.

In connection with tech support on TraderWare, I spoke several times with
Steve Yates who I understand was the primary developer of TraderWare.  He
seemed to be a fairly capable programmer.  He told me that he had originally
developed the code that eventually became TraderWare in Java but that
because of language limitations with respect to some operating systems and
because he ran into platform compatibility issues, he was forced to abandon
Java.

>Fourth, Linux hit critical mass at some point and commercial
>ventures started investing in it. I personally know several
>companies in silicon valley that paid contractors to work on this
>code full time. I believe this was a crucial aspect of the
>product's eventual move into wider use by the public.

Yep, and that could not happen in a case like this.  If a company produces
trading software, why would it want to finance a public domain contributor?
And if a trading company or an individual decides to pay someone to take
some public domain code and extend it, why would they make that code public
as well?

Kent