Re: omega-digest Digest V100 #279

I fully and determindly intended to let this thread die,  but what can you
do when you have a tiger by the tale?  Besides it's kind of humorous.

Several people have privately told me there are no secret programs are being
downloaded from the bulgaria site now.  I have to accept that,  I can't
dispute it.  All I can capture from that site with my old antique computer
is a cache file.  When I opened it in notepad,  the first line reads,  "
This file has been encoded.  The contents (including scripts inside the
encoded text) is a copyright of its rightful owners".
That got a good laugh.  More than a little ironic,  or maybe these pirates
just have some sense of humor.

To those number of people who asked how to flush the cache and cookies,  I
can't answer each specific case. Maybe you just shouldn't worry about it.
There may even be good reasons not to do it in some specific situations, for
all I know,  like if there are permanent site registrations or passwords
saved in those files.  I'm not knowledgeable about how that stuff works.  It
doesn't apply to me.  And each operating system and browser probably require
different methods.

Here's what I do on my Win 98se computer with IE5 and it works for my
specific situation:

Cookies: I just delete all the files in the windows-cookies directory.  I
actually do it automatically each morning when I turn my computer on via an
entry in the autoexec.bat file.

Cache: More of a problem. You can delete some temporary internet files with
windows disk cleanup ( start-programs-accessories-system tools-disk cleanup)
or right from the tools-internet options menu of IE5.  But there are a lot
more files than that. I can't find the way to get explorer to show the
things.  Can't see them,  harder to delete.  I use McAfee Uninstaller
Powerclean.  It see's em.

If you do any of these things,  it may slow loading the pages of your normal
web sites the first time you go to them after you delete the files.

That's all I know. I quit, finis, no more. Promise.

David

d.