Re: omega-digest Digest V100 #279

>>A few days ago,someone posted a site that started with
>>www.bulgaria. "something".  I forgot to save that issue and wanted to see the
>>site.  Can someone re-post the site name.
>>Thanks!
>>

>If you go there,  which I certainly wouldn't recommend,  you must flush
your cookies and browser cache directory,  and even then it may be too late.
This site will definitely secretly place an executable file on your
computer,  most likely in the cache directory. Don't really know what it
does,  but you can be pretty sure it's not there for your benefit.

>You can get the address on Usenet if you must,  misc.invest.futures,  but I
personally wouldn't give this address to anyone I liked.

>David
>
>(d.)

O.K.,  I got a few private e-mails about this already.  So I'll just add my
last two  cents publicly.

Those people are professional software pirates,  I'm sure everyone knows
that by now.  They do try to add a program to your computer without your
knowledge.   If you are smart enough about computers and/or  have a good
firewall, maybe you can download the software you want without any
consequences.  If you are that smart,  you probably don't need cracked
software.  Maybe this cracked software you want doesn't have any "funny"
code in it. Who knows. If you are basically fairly unknowledgeable about
computers like me,  and I'm sure there are quite a few on this list now like
that,  you just need to be warned. I don't know what their program does,
maybe something as simple as getting your e-mail lists,  maybe your account
info,  God only knows what.  But until somebody proves otherwise, you have
to assume it is for the pirates benefit,  not yours.  Otherwise they would
be upfront about putting it on your machine.

The original writer here about this site,  maybe he was smart enough to get
around the problems,  maybe he has an extra program on his computer now that
he hasn't noticed,  maybe he read a post on usenet a week or two ago and got
the program deleted.  Just because he maybe hasn't noticed or posted about
any problems yet,  that is not proof that nothing has happened, or won't
happen in the future.

You go there advised about possible danger and at your own risk. I certainly
can't state for a fact you will suffer any dire consequences,  but there is
a risk.

That's all I've got to say about the matter.  It's all I know.  Oh,  and
they've changed their address again anyway,  thay do it regularly,  always
on the lam.

David