Re: TS4 and Windows 3.1?

Jim,

I have been running TS on Win3.11 for years. I was running TS 3.5 until
January, 2000, when I switched to TS 4.

 I recently switched from Signal data feed to an Internet feed, using a
cable modem, Quote.com, and Dynastore running in a separate machine from TS
4.  Data feeds out from a serial port on the Internet machine to a serial
port on the TS machine.  Dimitri, the developer of Dynastore, has a patch
which will make TS 4 receive data through the serial port at 57K, but I have
not installed it yet, because I have not seen any data loss.  I trade
futures, including the MiniS&P which has lots of ticks, but no high volume
stocks.

I run QCharts for Quote.com on the Internet machine, which gives me a
separate charting program where I can watch something other than what I am
trading on TS 4, and gives me easy access to Globex overnight.

DynaStore has a program called DynaLoader which lets you download history
data from Quote.com and import it into TS 4 as .OMZ files, so I can fill any
gaps if I need to.  Have had very few problems.

The TS 4 machine with Win3.11 is connected to my network of four other
machines, including the Internet machine, all running Win98 Second Edition,
so I can move files, backup, etc.  All the machines except the TS 4 machine
share the cable Internet connection using Win98 Internet Connection Sharing
over my network.  At some point I will move to Win2000, but I'm in no rush.

I am very happy with this setup.  The TS 4 machine runs only TS 4, and is
rock solid.  I shut down TS 4 on most weekends to backup, scandisk and
defrag, but I have left this setup running for three weeks without touching
it when I went on vacation.  Worked perfectly.  The cable modem has been
remarkably reliable, I have never had an outage.  I do have a dial-up as a
backup.

I prefer dedicated machines, rather than trying to run everything together.
Hardware is cheap, my only problem is finding space for everything in my
office.  I am thinking of adding a switch to allow one keyboard and mouse to
control multiple machines, but haven't got around to that.

If you have a network, it is worth moving to Win3.11 for backup and file
transfer.  I see no advantage of adding the overhead of a big operating
system to TS 4.

Jim Sullivan