Re: Drawdown defined

  • To: "OmegaList" <Anthony3@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: Drawdown defined
  • From: "Michael Berger" <mberger@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 06:04:17 -0700

The drawdown is the maximum account total equity decline, before a new
account equity high is achieved.

Equity & drawdown is generally tracked in terms of VAMI (value of a thousand
dollar investment.)  Thus an account is started with a VAMI of 1000.  Each
day you calculate the percentage profit/loss & adjust the VAMI.  If you
actually start trading with 100,000 & on day 1 you make $5,000, your VAMI at
the end of day 1 would be 1050, calculated as follows:

             5000 / 100000(previous day's total equity)  x 1000 ( previous
day's vami) = 50

              add/subtract result to previous days VAMI:  1000 + 50

The first few days of trading might look as follows:

           cashin     cashout     gain    loss       total equity
VAMI
          100000                                           100000
1000
day1                                 5000                 105000
1050
day2                                 2000                 107000
1070
day3                    -7000         0        0        100000
1070
day3                                              -7000      93000
995.1

Note in this case even though profit / loss in dollar terms were actually
equal, the account shows an approximate 1/2 % decline, because the $ 7,000
loss took place on total equity of 100,000, rather than 107,000, since the
first 7,000 in profit was withdrawn from the account before the loss.

Keep a daily VAMI,  & your return will be based on performance, ignoring
deposits or withdrawals to the account.

The max drawdown is also made obvious:  it is the highest VAMI to the lowest
VAMI that occurred after the high.  The drawdown period continues until a
new high VAMI is achieved.

Regards,