Re: off topic: installing Win2000

hi jim,

> I'm about to move from Win98 2Ed to Windows 2000.  I have a few =
> questions if any kinds persons would want to comment:
> Do I have to reformat my harddisk or can I successfully install over =
> W98?

though microsoft claims that this is possible and win2k setup offers this
option, for stability reasons do yourself the favor and install on a blank
disk.
i heard so many stories about upgrading from win98 and this somehow
rarely seemed to result in a stable system.

> Will SafeSoft work with Win2000?

don't know this program.

> What other stuff should I watch out for?

ram, ram and even more ram! if you're using TS or PS2000, imo 256mb
are the minimum. for stability reasons, i never install any hardware for
which
win2k hasn't got the drivers "onboard" already. 3rd party drivers are a
*big* issue in win2k. last but not least, a good disk setup will add to
system
performance and stability. mine is as follows: partition c: 380mb total size
with nothing but the win2k start files and a 370mb fixed size swapfile,
formatted with fat16, as it the fastest file system for swapfiles. partition
d:
1gb with nothing but the o/s, and finally partition e: 8gb with all the
programs etc. install only software that you *really* need. keep your
machine as clean as possible. avoid memory resident programs if possible. it
is said that progs
like realtime virus scanners, "crashguards" etc. cause far more probs than
they could ever solve.
hope this is of use

michael