Re: Question on TS 2000i

Hi Andy,

I have noticed similiar behaviour w.r.t. ZoneAlarm and my Omega
Research products.  My current data vendor is PCQuote.com, and these
are the Omega Research applications that I have had to allow ZoneAlarm
to pass through the firewall:

  ORBrowser Application 5.00.0771
  pcqetix MFC Application
  Omega Research GlobalServer 5.00.2919.6700

I have also noticed that whenever I do a download from
HistoryBank.com, I see the BMI subserver process initialize in the
Event Logs.

I have wondered myself about these messages and connections.  However,
it might be a little premature to conclude that there is something
dastardly going on w.r.t. these connections.  They may be perfectly
legitamate and necessary for the software to work properly.

Regards, Matt

Andy> I have to say that I'm quite surprised that TS 2000i SP4
Andy> actually works. :-)
Andy>
Andy> It's been on for a week, on Windows NT 4.0, in real time and has
Andy> yet to collapse (knock on wood). :-)
Andy>
Andy> I do have some questions on it though:
Andy>
Andy> 2) I don't know if anyone has notice this but if you run this
Andy>    for the first time in conjunction with Zone Alarm, ZA will
Andy>    notify you that both BMI and Omega tries to send out a
Andy>    message via the internet, even if you're using a non internet
Andy>    datafeed - i.e., it has no reason to access the internet at
Andy>    all. So, what is going on here? Is it trying to register this
Andy>    software package to their respective vendors? I'm not really
Andy>    worried about it, since I bought it directly from Omega but
Andy>    why is it trying to send out a message via the internet to
Andy>    their respective home sites? If it's trying to register it,
Andy>    shouldn't it notify me first, rather then trying
Andy>    surriptiously and then having a firewall telling that? Has
Andy>    anyone encounter this?