RE: ATT:Tradergirl!! (LINUX DOWNLOAD $0)

On Tue, 16 May 2000, M. Simms wrote:

> A well-founded concern.
> But 3 things are happening to lessen this problem:
> 1) Java 1.3 "Java 3" is imminent and beta tests are showing 200-300%
> performance increases !!!

Two questions from an ignorant bystander (of which I consider myself to
be fortunate in this particular debate):  :D

1.  Is Java designed to be downloaded to a client computer every time an
application is run?  For a web site applet, I understand the logic, but
for an application like a word processor, it seems like a huge waste of
bandwith and time.  Are there plans to write applications in Java that you
buy at the store on CD-ROM just like other software?

2.  If not, then why is it solely an interpretive language?  Why not have
a compiler for each platform it runs on, and compile it?

Best,

John