Fixed Ratio or Fixed Fractional??

Why limit yourself to a binary choice
between just two alternatives?  You can dream
up LOTS and LOTS of other position sizing
algorithms; why assume they are inferior
to FR and/or FF?

For example, I myself happen to use a position
sizing method in my real-money trading that is
a kind of a "hybrid" between FR and FF.

Risk-per-trade is a monotonically increasing
function of equity (similar to FF), but it is
definitely NOT a fixed fraction.  Furthermore,
the method is "aggressive" -- it takes more risk --
when the account equity is small, and it becomes
less and less aggressive as the account grows
(similar to FR).  Also similar to Randy McKay
in _New_Market_Wizards_.

The complete details of my approach were published
in Club 3000 News issue #99.04, which unfortunately
they don't give away for free.  (They charge the
princely sum of Five Dollars for backissues, see
  http://www.club3000.org )

Since #99.04 came out, I've found that people
seem to understand the position sizing method better
when it's presented as a CHART rather than as a
math formula.  So I drew it up as a chart and put
it in the most recent Club 3000 News
(issue #2000.01).  If you want, take a look.

Sources for other position sizing ideas besides
FR and FF:

  1. "Trade Your Way to Financial Freedon" by Van Tharp.

  2. "Trading Recipes" software by Bob Spear.
     Go to  http://www.moneymentor.com  and scroll
     the dingus on the left till you see SOFTWARE.
     Click on Software Downloads, then click on
     Trading Recipes

  3. Russell Sands's "Turtle Trading Concepts" series
     of 8 videotapes, from 1994 (cost $3,000).

  4. "Quantitative Trading and Money Management"
     by Fred Gehm.

  5. "Portfolio Management Formulas" by Ralph Vince.
     Look at the other, non-FF, methods that Ralph
     claims that _Gamblers_Times_Magazine_ claims
     are inferior.  In *your* tests, using commodity
     systems rather than Blackjack, are they inferior?

  6. Pencil and graph paper and YOUR CREATIVITY.

--
   Mark Johnson      Silicon Valley, California    mark@xxxxxxxxxxxx

      "... The world will little note, nor long remember, what we
       say here..."  -- Abraham Lincoln, "The Gettysburg Address"