RE: BMI RealTime $59/mth vs TradeStation.com for $ ???

There are so many things that affect the rate at which ticks are dropped you
can't assume that it's purely the datavendor.  In fact I would say that it's
NOT the datavendor in this case.

I checked with a friend who uses BMI RT and he got 82,102 ticks for QCOM on
Friday over cable.  Others on this list have reported radically different
numbers for QCOM on Friday. So most likely the people that are reporting
fewer than expected ticks are dropping ticks somewhere between the time they
come in and the time TS writes them to disk.  This can happen for a variety
of reasons and I'm surprised no one has documented the type of PC they're
running or their TS configuration.

RAM, PROCESSOR SPEED, and to a lesser extent SERIAL PORT I/O and hardrive
speed will directly impact how quickly and how many quotes TS4 can store.
Also, as the amount of information coming across BMI grows so to does the
need for faster machines to process it all.  More and more ticks are coming
in faster for a given symbol and if you have a relatively slow machine that
may have been stable 3 years ago, that machine (all other things being
equal) will start to drop more ticks as this trend continues.  Other factors
include how many systems you have running, the number of symbols in your
portfolio, the complexity of your systems, etc. since this affects available
resources and processor time.

It doesn't surprise me Dave (my friend) has a high tick count since he runs
TS4 exclusively (save a couple instances of a browser) on a dual PIII-450
with 256M RAM and a 20G HD.

I think you guys are blaming the wrong people.  To hear Dave talk, it's not
the amount of data coming across BMI it's the quality of data -- especially
from the NASDAQ.

You might want to take a look at your setup.