"OFF TOPIC" Hardware question

I have a drive with a number of FAT16 partitions on it which is part of a
system running NT.

I need to reinstall the OS and currently I can only boot the machine into
DOS.

If I delete and re-create the primary bootable partition using FDISK off a
floppy, will the data on the other logical partitions be safe ? I assume it
would be but just want to make sure.

Secondly, if I backup the data using a DOS backup package do all my long
filenames get preserved or is the whole thing turned into mulch. ?

Are there any other issues of which I should be aware ?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Iain