RE: Anyone using Option Station?

I felt I had to comment on this just to be fair.  I am a software developer,
have been programmer either for a job or as a hobby since I was 12.

I own TS2k as most others here on the list but unfortunately am dissapointed
with the product.  As a developer I'm aware of the complexities involved in
creating such products...as well as the deadline requirements imposed on you
by the "management".  TS2k is a good idea, to a large degree, but so far I'm
not exstatic about their implementation.

However, just to be fair, in regards to Stuart's note about TS2k crashing
due to low resources I feel I should make a quick comment (hopefully without
getting too technical).

Windows 95/98 uses a 16bit kernel (still) and therefore carries some
unfortunate legacy problems with it.  Windows NT on the other hand does not.
I have used TS2k under both systems and can say I have experienced fewer
crashes under NT in comparison to 98.  Now I think I should also add that
NOT A DAY goes by that I havent crashed 98.  It's THAT bad imho.  I am now
using Windows 2k with TS2k (SP3) and it hasn't crashed yet.  But I am not
running in real-time mode right now - if that makes a big difference (which
it can).  I have used it on some occasions in real-time mode but not to any
degree.

Windows 95/98 impose "resource" limitations.  Resources are used up
everytime a windows on control is created (in some cases controls - not all
the time), database connections (which ts2k uses a lot of), etc.  Even a
product (which is FAR superior technically imho than TS2k) such as 3D Studio
Max running under Win98 can run out of resources resulting in a crash.  Now
there is a patch that just came out for Max to fix the majority of this
problem - so yes, it is possible to get it to work but can be somewhat
complicated in some areas.

I guess what I'm trying to say Stuart is that this is an intrinsic problem
to Windows 95/98.  Now I'm not disputing that some people believe TS2k isn't
written as well as it could or should be.  But I do want to state this fact,
so that you can continue to be objective on this matter.

-Joe

PS.  Wanna buy my copy of TS2k?   :)