Re: Cost of a Function Call in EL?

  • To: Joe Stratmann <garrek@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: Cost of a Function Call in EL?
  • From: Alan Mi <ami@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1999 12:28:34 -0800

Joe Stratmann wrote:

Thanks for not letting go a month old posting that noone has responded to.

> Actually Alan, a context switch does not occur by calling a function per se.

Remember the CS assembly course where we learned that a function call involves
saving all the status (register values), and returning from a function call
means to recover them? That's what I meant by "context switching". You are
talking about a higher level of context switching, at the LWP (light weight
process) level and a huge context switching at HWP (Heavy ~) level. I agree with
you on the rest of your discussion. I used DEC Profiler to look into the
microseconds consumed during a C++ function call on DEC Alpha 4100 machine and
found that a function call is very very expensive, as I put in my original
message. That's why C++ came up with the inline directive. That's the basis of
my question.