Re: Squawking Intruder

Regarding the hits from Listen Only - I also use Black Ice - and think it is
great.  Black Ice is installed on my computer A.  The first day I used it I
got hit with an attack alert.  I was listening to an audio stream similar to
LOS - on computer B.  I was using Real Player from Real Audio.  I stopped
the program by clicking the little "X" in the top right corner.  Immediately
computer A started reporting an attack.  Since then I have found that it
will do it every time I exit Real Player that way when the player is in the
middle of an audio stream.  If I first tell Real Player to stop (with the
"stop" button), wait for the modem lights to stop blinking and then kill the
player - no problems.

Here's a diagnosis tip - Black Ice will tell you the IP address of the
intruder.  If you open a DOS window and type TRACERT followed by the
intruder's IP address it may give you a clue about who the address belongs
to.  Sometimes it just gives you strings of numbers, but usually there is
enough text in the display to figure out if the signal is from friend or
foe.  I don't know exactly how TRACERT works, but it will show you the
connecting points (all the servers your signal passes through) from your end
to the receiver.  It also shows the time it takes between each point.  When
the net slows way down it can sometimes point out the bottlenecks.  Not that
I know how to work around the slowdowns mind you - but somehow I get a sick
pleasure out of knowing which server is dogging things down.

A sample TRACERT looks like:

TRACERT 204.71.200.243

That one will show the route from you to a particular Yahoo server.  It will
also work if you use:

TRACERT www.yahoo.com

The guys at PMBe turned me on to this one day when they were trying to
diagnose a slowdown.  I was having problems getting through.  They were not
seeing any other problems.  They had me run this on my end and read them the
results.  It turns out that the fourth or fifth server on the path between
me and PMBe had major speed problems.  Even though it looked like my broker
was the problem, the data showed that it was really the ISP.  It also gave
me some solid numbers to badger them with until they fixed the problem.

Sorry this is so long.  I hope you all have good trades!

Matt