Re: excel instead of TS

I'm using eSignal's charting.  It isn't as pretty as TradeStation's, and
the alerts are a pain to insert, but it works and I can instantly get
history on a symbol I've only heard about for the first time on CNBC just
then -- unlike TradeStation where I have to spend at least 20 minutes
before I can get any history into GlobalServer and onto a TS
chart.  eSignal charting also has lines and a bunch of indicators.   The
selection of indicators is much smaller than what is available on TS, but
the main indicators (MACD, ADX, Stochastics, Bollinger Bands, and a bunch
of others) are there.  There are no line based alerts, just numeric alerts
against bid/ask/trade/volume that you insert by keying in numbers.  That's
where Excel comes in for me.  I'm using it to put in a bunch of alerts on
up to 25 (so far) symbols at a time.  Thanks to Phillipe Lhermie of the
XLtraders's mailing list, who posted an example alarm macro to the list,  I
was able to get this working so that it makes a noise whenever a
bid/ask/volume/trading price for a stock goes out of pre-defined
bounds.   It is vastly faster to set up alerts using this than either in
eSignal or in TradeStation.

You're right about Excel's charting.  It is pretty much useless for
trading, but with eSignal charting and Excel alerts, I think I may have
something that will suffice until Omega Research can get their act together
or hell freezes over, whichever comes first.