Re: Computer security

Glen Wallace wrote:
> I believe the site you mentioned, Gary, tests only the NetBIOS
> ports for sharing.

No, it scans a number of other ports too, but it definitely is not an
exhaustive security test.  I should have been more clear about that.
It's an INCREDIBLY good source for information and education about
the problem, but it's not a do-everything site to make sure your
system is secure.

> More sophisticated weaknesses and trojans
> can be identified by a more comprehensive suite of tests like:
> http://www.dslreports.com/  (Requires registration, and then click
>      Secure-Me. I think the first test is still free)
> http://www.e-softinc.com/  (Click on Desktop Audit)

Yes, those look good.  There are others, too, such as http://www.it-
sec.de/vulchke.html but I can't seem to find any of the other ones I
found yesterday.

Bottom line, I think it's a good idea to educate yourself about this
very real danger, *especially* if you're on a cable modem or DSL.
Use the security-check sites to test your current vulnerability.  And
seriously consider getting some protection, like BlackICE or ConSeal.

Gary