Re: way off topic

Dan:

I now have 3 machines running W98se on which I have tested both Ts4 and
TS2K. I understand that NT would probably be a better choice for TS but, for
various unrelated business reasons, I have made the decision to stick with
W98se for now. I'll take a crack at running TS on NT's successor, Windows
2000, if/when it ever appears.

Anyway, TS4 appears to load and run on all 3 with no more frequent crashes,
freezes, and hang ups than under W95.

TS2k is different. It loaded and ran as well as could be expected on the two
machines that were *upgraded* to W98se from W98 (both machines were, in
turn, *upgrades* from W95). The real time performance was adequate - but
just barely - for my needs. The performance might not be adequate for the
needs of other more intense users.

Curiously, TS2k refused to load properly or run on the  3rd computer - a
brand new machine with a *factory install* of the latest version of W98se.

Spent the better part of a day on the phone with OR Tech Support in order to
discover that, as previously reported on this list, TS2k is only compatible
with certain older ODBC .dll files which have dates in the range of 1996 -
1997.

Most annoying.

I was eventually able to get TS2k to install and work by replacing the newer
dll files supplied by W98se with outdated copies from one of my other
computers. I haven't noticed any appreciable problems with the OS or my
other applications under this arrangement (yet). The performance, both RT
and EOD, is again adequate for my limited needs, but might not be for other
more intense users.

Please, no disputes about which operating system is superior. And, No, I
don't work for omega in any capacity.

Cheers,

Clint